Cornbread. The easiest fucking thing to make in the world because the directions are on the BOX!
If you're going to make cornbread, you might as well give up the scratch recipe in favor of a good ol' box of Jiffy Mix - because it's easy, and fast, and it's nice to have something warm for breakfast on a Saturday Morning. Yum, right?
I'm not going to give you the directions, because they're on the BOX!
And in my somewhat silly morning stupor (I did get a little tipsy with my Southern Mother last night) I actually looked at the side of the box for bread rather than the muffin directions. I somehow managed to read the corn pancakes recipe and made that instead...for bread. But, in fact, the directions told me what I've always done - just follow the muffin recipe. Now I'm looking at a fully buttered pan and a too-wet-for-bread mix for pancakes.
But I don't want pancakes. I want cornbread.
If you EVER have this problem...which I hope you never do because it is incredibly easy to follow the recipe ON THE BOX!!!...the trick I've always used is add flour until it looks like what it should look like. It's not a science and you can fuck it up if you put too much in and it ends up being too dry. So - approach with caution.
But I don't have flour. I'm living in a house that does not have flour. What do I have? I have swedish pancake mix. Ok. We'll try that. It's looking good. It might even taste a little sweeter. Or Sweder.
Anybody? Ok. Bad joke. Moving on.
Oven at 400. Watching it until it looks good enough to eat. Or smells done. (That is an amazingly good sign for done in baking.) Before I take it out I'll do the tooth pick test to make sure it's cooked through. Cross your fingers, kids.
----- exactly 20 minutes later -----
Looks good. Took a picture with the cell phone. Cutting though? Incredibly fluffy.
Not dry at all! This had has learned to master adding flour! Of course, I wouldn't have had to do anything if I had just followed directions on the BOX! (I am beside myself how idiot a move that was.)
What have I learned? Don't try and bake 10 minutes after getting out of bed. With a slight hangover.
Or, at least, have a coffee first so you remember you can read.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Looks delicious! I'm jealous...
ReplyDeleteNice job! You were not an idiot... you were a very creative, adaptive, slightly hungover genius!
ReplyDelete