Friday, March 19, 2010

Butter Bakes Better Boxed Brownies

I busted my hand biking.  Corinne vs. Streetcar Rails - Rails: 1, Corinne: 0.  (or, $0 damage to rails and $100s of dollars spent on busted wrist.)

Ok, so the title says it all.  Chris spends his spring break with me in New Orleans because he fell in love with the city, too.  This is awesome for three reasons.  One, the city has another lover.  Two, I get to share him with her.  Three, Chris cooks very well.  Whoever said the way to a man's heart is his stomach forgot that women like delicious food, too.  So, Chris is making amazing dinner (again) and he bought boxed brownie mix for dessert - because Jen can't eat nuts.  But she came to dinner last night, so I'm going to put chocolate chips and pecans in it, too.  Because I can now.

PS - If you're in the South, it "pih-cahns," not "pea-cans."  They will correct you and scoff if you get it wrong.  

At least this time I was coherent enough to read the directions - and I followed them!  But, what?  No oil!  Easy substitution!  Butter!  1/2 cup oil = 1/2 cup butter.  Or, whatever it calls for, same = same.  Butter makes everything better.  They definitely make brownies better.  I think that it takes longer to bake though.  You have to do the toothpick test: stick it in and if it comes out wet you're not done.





...I know there's someone reading with a dirty mind - also my friends must think everything I say is a "That's What She Said Joke."  This is also why there's a warning before you read my blog.  Because I have a dirty mind.  And I do fucking swear like, a lot...

And yes, the brownie edges will be over done but that's what makes them great.  If you're baking for friends, keep the crust for yourself.  Because it's the best part.  Right?  And it makes for pretty presentation for your friends so they think you're being all fancy and shit.  I think I ate almost all the brownie edges one night drinking too much bourbon.

So, next time you want to be a lazy baker, make those box brownies better with butter.

Also, hooray alliteration!  The blog was brought to by the letter "B" (for butter, brownies, and bourbon, and busted by bicycle) and also by the support of my left hand, exclusively.  


NEXT TIME: epic entry on the best fucking banana bread you will every have in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Favorite Sweet Stuff